Tesla Model S and Model X (2015 or older)
The Tesla Diagnostics Connector for your vehicle may be blue or black depending on the model year of your Tesla. If the Vehicle Interface Cable you were shipped does not fit the blue or black Tesla Connector, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1: Preparing the C2 Device and Locating the Diagnostics Connector
- Remove the C2 Device from its box. Retain the box for future reference to the C2 ID number and Activation Code.
- Connect the Vehicle Interface Cable to the port on the C2 Device.
- Turn the vehicle ON.
- Remove the passenger-side kick panel to expose the Tesla proprietary Diagnostic Connector. The panel is attached with multiple push-fit snaps. You will need to apply some force to unclip the panel, but rest assured that it is designed to be removable.
- Reach into the space behind the storage tray to find the diagnostic connector if it is not immediately visible (arrow in below image). If you find it difficult to reach the connector, try using a pair of needle nosed pliers or a similar tool to pull the connector out and towards you.
Step 2: Installing the C2 Device
- Once tray is removed, reach in and find the Tesla Diagnostic Connector tucked against the back wall.
- Pull it out towards you and plug the Vehicle Interface Cable into the open end of the Diagnostic Connector. If you find it difficult to reach the connector, try
using a pair of needle-nosed pliers or a similar tool to pull the connector out and towards you.
Plug the connector into the adapter cable.
- Push until they click into place. The connectors will only fit one way.
Step 3: Confirming the C2 is Operational
Ensure that the LED lights are indicating the C2 device is working:
- The orange status LED is flashing and then turns solid.
- The blue network LED either flashes or turns solid.
- If both LEDs are solid, the installation is complete.
- If one or more of the LEDs is still flashing refer to the Troubleshooting section under Frequently Asked Questions.
Step 4: Closing the Panel
- Loosen the panel below the one you just removed to open up a space where you can tuck the C2 away. This panel is also attached with push-fit snaps.
- Once loosened, you will be able to place the C2 behind the panel. Push it as far backwards as you comfortably can so that the panels will fit nicely back into place.
- Tuck the connected cables into the top right corner of the cavity to get them out of the way.
- Push at the lower panel’s snaps to clip them back into place. If it doesn’t close, push the C2 further back into the cavity and try again.
- Replace the passenger-side kick panel by pressing at the push-fit snaps until they click back into place.
Click here to download a pdf version of these instructions.