Tesla Model S and Model X
Your package should have included a Harness, GO Device, and Cable Tie. You may also want to have a flashlight on hand if your vehicle is not in a well-lit location (not included).
The Tesla Proprietary Diagnostic Connector for your vehicle may be blue or white depending on the model year of your Tesla. If the adapter harness you were shipped does not fit the blue or black Tesla Connector in your vehicle, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: If you have ever experienced a buzzing noise in your Tesla vehicle due to a cell phone being in close proximity to the speaker system, skip ahead to the Tesla Model S and Model X – Alternate Installation Instructions.
Follow the instructions below to install the GO device. The installation process should take you no more than ten minutes to complete. Feel free to refer to the installation video below.
Part I: Installing the GO Device
- Remove the GO Device from its box. Retain the box for future reference to the GO Serial Number.
- Connect the adapter harness to the port on the GO device.
- The next step will vary depending on the Model Year of your Tesla:
- Tesla Model Year 2016 or Newer: Unclip the storage tray from below the center touch screen by pressing down with the palms of both your hands on the inside of the compartment until the clips holding it in place release. You will need to apply some force to unclip the tray, but rest assured that it is designed to be pulled down.
- Tesla Model Year 2015 or Older: Attempt to unclip the storage tray from below the center touch screen by pressing down with the palms of both your hands on the inside of the compartment until the clips holding it in place release. You will need to apply some force to unclip the tray. The tray may not come out easily after being unclipped since it has two extra clips at the back of the tray. If this is the case for your vehicle, do not attempt to remove the tray. Instead, push up on the tray to put it back into place and skip ahead to the Tesla Model S and Model X – Alternate Installation Instructions. If your tray slides out easily when you pull it towards you, continue following these instructions.
- Once the tray is removed, reach in and find the Tesla Diagnostic Connector tucked against the back wall. Pull it out towards you and plug the harness into the open end of the Diagnostic Connector. If you cannot find the connector, skip ahead to the Tesla Model S and Model X – Alternate Installation Instructions.
- Refer to ‘Part II: Confirming the GO is Operational’ below, to confirm the device is working as expected before proceeding to secure the device.
Part II: Confirming the GO is Operational
After you install the device, please ensure that the LED lights are indicating the GO device is working:
- All three LEDs on the GO device will flash briefly. During the 5-minute setup process, the device may also beep repeatedly as it updates to the latest settings.
- Wait until you see all three LEDs are solid
- Red – Power / Device Configuration
- Green – Cellular Network Connectivity
- Blue – GPS Network Connectivity
- If all three LEDs turn solid, the unit has connected successfully.
Note: If one or more of the LEDs is still flashing, please refer to the following sections under Frequently Asked Questions -> Troubleshooting:
- “What do I do if the Red LED on my GO will not go solid?”
- “What do I do if the Green or Blue LED on my GO will not go solid?”
Part III: Closing the Panel
- Tuck the GO device and Vehicle Interface Cable back into the area behind the storage compartment. Place the GO into the space on the left side of the open compartment (blue circle), and tuck the cables downwards until you can no longer see them (white arrow). Ensure that the GO and cables are as tucked away as possible so that the storage tray can fit back into place.
- Slide the tray all the way back into the open compartment until it is aligned with the screen. If you cannot slide it all the way back, remove the tray and tuck the cables and GO further back into the compartment and try again.
The installation is now complete.
Note: If you have not done so prior to installing your GO device, please ensure you have activated the device in your SmartCharge account (Refer to “Activating the GO Device” in the FAQ).